November 29, 2022

My Skin Care Journal as of November 2022

I just added a retinol product in my skin care routine recently. Mainly because I want to keep/achieve a youthful appearance. However, I am still testing the tides. Honestly, I forget to apply it sometimes. XD 

As I was reading about how to incorporate retinol in my skin care routine, I stumbled on the term "skin cycling" which is kind of a trending topic in the skin care community.

According to my research via Google, skin cycling is a term coined by Dr. Whitney Bowe. It is a four-night schedule; exfoliation night, retinoid night, recovery night, recovery night, repeat. The day time routine can consist of a gentle cleanser, vitamin C serum, a barrier-protecting cream, and of course, SPF. Basically, skin cycling is done at the night time where you alternate the use of actives and exfoliation.

Come to think of it, I've been doing the same night routine for my self, minus using the retinol product. If I want to be more consistent with retinol, I have to be more mindful of my skin care routine. 

Here's my updated skin care routine, by the way. 

Day Time skin care routine

  1. Water cleanse 
  2. Toner
    • Naturie Hatomugi Skin Conditioner
  3. Serum
    • I skip this step sometimes or apply Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion (office days or when feeling extra dehydrated).
  4. Moisturizer
    • COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream
  5. Sunscreen
    • Biore Perfect Milk (office days)
    • RA&GoWoori Real Kill
    • Hello Glow (for body only)

Night Time skin care routine

  1. Makeup remover
    • Issy and Co Cleansing Balm
  2. Facial wash
    • CosRX Low PH Cleanser
  3. Toner
    • Naturie Hatomugi Skin Conditioner (plus Hada Labo Gokujyun Premium Lotion when feeling dehydrated)
  4. Serum
    • Manyo Factory Bifida Biome Complex Ampoule
  5. Moisturizer
    • COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream (Applies extra on the eye area.)

Skin care on alternate days

  • Detox Sundays or Mondays
    • Clay masking with Apotheke Science Detoxifying Face Mask
      • This is satisfying when I apply CosRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid the night before then do clay masking the next day. My skin feels so refreshed, clean, and ready for the next week. XD
  • Exfoliation every two to three days
    • Dermorepubliq Glycolic toner
    • CosRX BHA


Sometimes, if I feel there's some bumps or rough textures on my skin, I slather on some Glycolic toner or BHA. I think two to three days is a good measure for exfoliation for me but if I follow this instinct, it's hard to incorporate retinol consistently. It's not good to have retinol and some acids on the same routine, and I think on the same day. So. I'm not yet sure when to insert retinol. I think after clay masking day is a good measure. Then again, I forget! XD

I've seen those skin cycling charts on Instagram and Pinterest. It could help. I may try but let's see. 

In skin care journey I've learned that

  • The most important thing is to listen to your skin
  • Stick to what really works for you. You can try something new and stick to it for a few weeks to a month and see. If it works, then good. If not, let go. However, this can cause over-the-budget expenses. So, read as much as you can and rely on good reviews from certified professionals or seek a forum or groups with common people trying on the products. 
  • Be patient and be consistent. Results don't happen overnight. 
  • Wear sunscreen or avoid sun-exposure. XD

All the products that I have listed above have all worked for me. If you check the previous routines I've posted, you can see some similar products. Redundant mentions are my holy grails (HG)! So, let's see if I can put retinol in my skincare routine. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment